random thoughts, musings and workings of a totally warped mind. tintin is a colorblind writer who paints,dreams of flying a kite along EDSA, teaches middle & high school writing & literature, and is the future mother of Kulay and Una Rosa Maria.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

It's not one of those usual Saturdays when I spend the mornings lazing in bed, wishing for a terrific breakfast in bed of pancakes and bacons perhaps, the sound of my man singing while he cooks in the kitchen. Today I woke up at six a.m., put on my contacts and headed to jolt myself with a freezing shower. The third Sunday of January is the feast of the Santo Nino de Tondo, and that's tomorrow. When you're a true blue Tondo kid, you know better than going out on the day before and the feast day itself. With or without a car, it's just impossible to haul yourself out of its streets. It's your typical Filipino fiesta only more colorful and vibrant: ati-atihans, street dances, traditional Pinoy games of basag-palayok and agawang buko, amateur singing contests, comedy shows and beauty pageants--name it and there's Ms. Barangay Panday-Pira 2004 to crown you.

But I digress.

I went to Kythe's orientation for volunteers at the East Avenue Medical Center this morning. I was initially worried about how I'd manage to leave my place as the Mardi Gras and processions started as early as 4 a.m. today. I could always attend next month's orientation but I'm sure I'll already be even busier by then with work and wedding preps, so I hied off and prayed that the Holy Child give me a cab on time.

At half past nine, I was signing my name on Kythe's volunteer sheet. And for some divine moment, the famous and historical image of the Santo Nino de Tondo was just passing across my street when I finally decided I'll go. It was almost cinematic. And I feel so blessed.

I'm now here at Surf@ Quezon Ave. sipping Java Republic's Americano (though that means, it's just your regular cup of coffee, it's still too light and almost has no texture at all; Nescafe's 3 in 1 is actually better--not a fan of that either). The cafe's cleaning person changed Norah Jone's to Andrew E. Can't complain much, I'm too content with my day unfolding as it is. I've bought some stuff for the surprise gift I'm making for Kulas and Mama's birthdays on Monday and Tuesday respectively. I'm already tired but I'm secretly looking forward to working some more later.

Oh and I've found a new design for my dress--it's not the One I really like but that will do...Thanks to all of you who have expressed their concern about it. I'm moving on and no, changing the dress is not an act of subservience rather it's humility. Too, I'm not going to allow something like this (or worse) to happen in the years to come. I've never let that, have I?

I'll be in Ormoc on Monday till Friday so Kulas and I will just be celebrating his birthday there. A good thing really, because even if that's going to be work, we'll have a much-needed break from maddening Manila. When I come back, I'll be meeting my first "patient" at the pediatric ward of East Ave. There are things to do and people to care for. It's a good life, after all.





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey Tintin ko na mahal na mahal. That's also the reason why I also believe my life is good and blessed - because I have you to primaly care for, for the rest of my life honeeeey - Life is really good honeeeeey!> D' Cool Kulas

12:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tintin honey na mahal na mahal. It is a good life indeed - for me I have you to primarily care for for the rest of my life > D' Cool Kulas

12:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home