random thoughts, musings and workings of a totally warped mind. tintin is a colorblind writer who paints,dreams of flying a kite along EDSA, teaches middle & high school writing & literature, and is the future mother of Kulay and Una Rosa Maria.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious…- Albert Einstein

I had my meeting-interview at Waldorf yesterday and it will certainly take me pages to write about how wonderful a Waldorf education is, and how I would recommend it to everyone I know. What makes Waldorf unique from other schools, from Montessori for example? From the school’s FAQ’s, the aim of Waldorf schooling is to educate the whole child, "head, heart and hands". The curriculum is as broad as time will allow, and balances academics subjects with artistic and practical activities. Waldorf teachers are dedicated to creating a genuine love of learning within each child. By freely using arts and activities in the service of teaching academics, an internal motivation to learn is developed in the students, doing away with the need for competitive testing and grading.

I looked at the curriculum for Ninth Grade English and Drama and hey, half of the topics included were subjects I took up as a Lit major in college! Ang galing! They also have foreign languages (two languages in the primary level, imagine!), physiology, astronomy, art history, information and communication, art, craft, creative writing—and all other subjects I wished I had in school.

At the Waldorf lower school, kids are not “forced” to learn. Creative activities are given more emphasis because of the belief that a child has to be given ample time to be in touch with her mind as she grows therefore creative play and stimulation of the imagination are the key. Don’t teach a four year old to read and write and do the maths yet—he’ll have the rest of his life doing this. Let him play, listen to stories, work with his hands, create music, make his own toys, play with other kids because this is all he needs for now.

And come to think of it, why do we push kids too much? Why not let them grow at their own pace? Why do we want kids to have medals and stars and 100s in school? The pressure and standards we set for children these days are actually the ones we, adults, have been trapped in and trying to be free from.

And so yesterday, I was at the Kawayan Waldorf School in E. Rod. and I saw what a beautiful place the school is: no fancy facilities, no high-tech computers, but there were trees in the school yard, a school pet pig, a chicken, the art works and toys the kids made, a piano on one side of the receiving area and books. You sit in a Waldorf classroom and you’d feel how great it is to learn with your own mind.
So I got the job.

I’ll be teaching English Studies and Drama for the ninth and tenth graders this June. How did I come up with a decision so easily? First, I believe in the Waldorf method so much that I’ll send my future kids there and second because how Waldorf came to me is quite like divine. Just like my present job, I wasn’t really looking for a new job but was just browsing the web for materials for my kids’ creativity workshops when I remembered the Waldorf method. Then I remembered I knew someone who teaches there and texted her I just realized right there and then that I’d like to be a Waldorf teacher. My friend referred me to a teacher and voila, they need an English and creative writing teacher! I emailed my CV, got called for a meeting-interview and by June, I’ll be handling the ninth and tenth grade classes.

I know it’s for me and I’d kill myself if I’d pass up on this. This is what I want to do. I woke up this morning feeling happier and I started to wonder why when I remembered I’ll be teaching again soon. When something makes you feel happier than you really are, how can you let it go? And because I am this happy and excited now, it must be a right decision…

6 Comments:

Blogger mai said...

Congrats Tintin! Sounds like you found something you will really love doing. Thats the best kind of work! :)

9:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Tin!!! Now things are coming your way...you're getting married & now you got your dream job! I am so proud of you.... love & miss you!!!

Ate Cookie

2:27 AM

 
Blogger dyeproks said...

nice one tin. i myself would like to end up teaching someday again. mukhang mag eenjoy ka dyan :)

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Wacky Addy said...

so... now... manlilibre ka na sa world topps? psst! donporgitdadeytonpraydey.

4:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for your dreams mahal na mahal na Tintin . . . Go for your dreams > kulas mo

2:32 PM

 
Blogger color_blind said...

thanks mai! yeah, i'm excited :)

ate cookie, thank you! it's not everyday that someone gets to have her dream job--it took me several years! love you too!

ey dyep. sana nga :)

joacs, nope, i wont porgetdatdeyt.

kulas, yep :) i will. so glad you're here

2:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home