random thoughts, musings and workings of a totally warped mind. tintin is a colorblind writer who paints,dreams of flying a kite along EDSA, teaches middle & high school writing & literature, and is the future mother of Kulay and Una Rosa Maria.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

"Sports car, yung red!"

I like this particular Fita commercial because I've witnessed how it affects young kids, specifically my cousins. They now think about doing good deeds and avoiding bad ones because they know that whatever they do has a consequence. They're too young to understand how karma really works. But it's enough that they get the point in its simplest essence.

Last night when I got home, there was a commotion in front of the gate of our house. When I asked them what was going on, I saw an old lady looking very, very tired and weak and hungry, standing by. I asked her what she wants and she said, "puwede bang magpahinga muna sa inyo dahil pagod na pagod na ako... (can i take a rest in your place for a while, please)"

I told my nanny Mai-mai to let her in. I later found out that they didn't want the lady in because she might be a thief or something. I even had an argument with my Tita, who to my surprise, was there in the sala all along. Apparently, she had refused the lady in, too.

What harm could an old lady do to us, anyway? She might be a "spy" of some Akyat Bahay gang, they said. Aghast, I said "she looks blind to me na nga eh!" I was furious to say the least.

I understand how people can't just trust others these days. I would often hear ikaw na nga ang tumulong, ikaw pa ang napapasama. But if this would be the case all the time, how are we going to make a difference? Perhaps it is because people know mistrust so well that it's what drives them to do harm on other people.

Now, we're still all alive, aren't we? And despite our everyday struggles, don't we owe it to ourselves to at least reach out and thank God we weren't in that old lady's place?

It saddened me more than it infuriated me. I was sad because my own family couldn't find in their hearts how to help people sans reservations... If my Tatay and Nanay were still alive, they would have welcomed that old lady and let her have dinner with us.

I hope the pork sinigang, rice and mangoes I let her eat would sustain her till she finds another home who would, this time, welcome her with open arms.

Assholes here, there and everywhere

I don't know why I always get my share of assholes. This morning on my way to work (again), a giant kelloidal iguana disguised as a man wearing a white polo, slacks and buffed leather shoes, refused to close his car passenger door while he was waiting for somebody. Now our street isn't exactly as wide as the Super Highway that's why the pedicab I was riding couldn't pass through.

Pedicab driver: "sir, makikiraan ho..."
Iguana: "sandali baka tamaan kotse ko"

So we were in the middle of the street stranded by his car door.

Me: "Mama, baka ho puwedend makiraan"
Iguana: "oho, sandali ma'am. baka tamaan kotse ko"
Me: "eh isara nyo ho muna"
Iguana:""teka lang ha, teka lang. Baka tamaan nga eh"
Me: "eh padaan nga lang ho! isara nyo muna!"

Aaaaaargh.

God bless you, Manong driver

My cab driver this morning seemed like a gentle, loving father who has been out driving his cab all night. He kept dozing off through our way to Quezon Ave. I would normally worry if this was the case. But I was feeling this sincere vibe from him that I couldn't get mad nor irritated.

"Ma'am sorry po ha, puyat po ako pag-pasada kagabi eh..."

I asked if he would like a bar of chocolate to keep him awake.

Thank God, I often forget to clean my bag. I remembered I had a melting bar of Cadbury Almonds somewhere in my cave of a bag.

That and a generous tip would hopefully send him home, smiling.

I will quit smoking I will quit smoking I will really really quit smoking

There.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home